As far back as I can remember, I have always loathed morning time. It seems, no matter how many hours of glorious sleep I get each night, it's never enough. I can remember back when my parents were married and we lived in our 2-flat in Edgebrook, my dad (King Morning Person Extraordinaire) would come barging into me and my deeder's room at crack ass and rouse us from sleep. When this method was sure to fail (with me anyway), he would snatch the covers off my sleeping body to startle me into wakefulness. I am convinced, because of this barbaric treatment, I now must be coaxed into wakefulness each and every day. Additionally, once I am up and at 'em, no one (including the loving husband) is allowed to talk to me for AT LEAST 30 minutes after I get out of bed.
Lately, however, I have been finding it difficult to schedule in my gym time each day. Not only must I make this a priority so I'm not reminiscent of the good year blimp, I also look forward to relieving stress from my workday by sweating it out on the elliptical. The health club where we're members is conveniently located across the street from our house, in addition to the free membership I am offered with my employment in the building where I work. It can not get more convenient than that, I tell you. While the membership I am offered through work is free for me, I also would have to work out on lunch, which...no thanks. When I work out, I like to really go full steam for an hour or more. This would require a post-workout shower prior to returning to the j.o.b. and while long lunches are nice, they're not an everyday kinda thing, you know what I mean? So, this has left me with my only other option of working out at the Club after I get home from work. The problem I find here, however, is that by the time I finish up, get home and take a quick rinse, it's pushing 8pm and dinner hasn't even been considered. And if I should have an errand or two to run after I get home, push that to 9pm.
So this leaves me no choice but to consider a morning workout before the day begins. Even typing this is giving me a sense of dread. Have I mentioned, I hate mornings? Oh okay, just wanted to be clear. Not only would switching to a pre-dawn workout free up my evenings, the Club also has classes that are much better starting at 5:40 am (gasp!) that would not be available to me in the evenings. I need to do this. I must do this.
How the hell will I do this?
So, for those of you with full time careers, how do you manage your workout routine? If you do an early morning session, how on earth do you do it? I for serial need all the help I can get!
I am sort of a morning person - meaning I am not AS grumpy as you... but I still don't like waking up in the morning. I used to go to WCC before work but that's when I started work at 9 am and it was 5 minutes away.
ReplyDeleteWhat I have been doing now is working out at home. I know it's NOT ideal but I have found so many on demand routines that I love, and of course my STEPPER! I also do the wii (WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE) sometimes. I like the variety that on demand has. It's something to consider so you don't get burnt (burned) out too. Maybe 1-2 early morning WCC sessions per week? 1-2 after work sessions of On Demand and then WCC on the weekends, and if you really want to hit up the club and Mike's out or something go for it. I think the variety of workouts is good too. And for me I can get home, change work out.. then start supper... It's not half bad I tell you.
It's all dad's fault, the jerk store.
ReplyDeleteAnyhooter, these are really good ideas. Thanks deeder! xoxox
we can work out together lol.. ON speaker phone. or not. Try 10 pound slim-down with Chris Freytag they aren't super complex where you spend the entire time trying to follow along... and you don't need a lot of room either. I did hers yesterday and also her 10 minute ab one. Denise Austin has a good "fat blast" one too.... I try a new one every day. I tried one though.. with some black guy and it was like I was on so you think you can dance (I can not) and I quickly QUIT
ReplyDeleteDude, I'd be the biggest b on speaker phone, at 6 am, whilst working out. Woof.
ReplyDeleteI'm sooooo not a morning person either (30 minute rule here too), but when I was working I would roll out of the rags at 5am to get to the gym by 5:15, work out for an hour, go home, shower and head to work. It's a great way to start the day, after you're finished, of course. Just get that shizz done and over with. I'm not sure what time you get out of work but the classes are good option to do after work because they're usually only an hour and you'll be able to kick ass for those 60 minutes. Good luck getting back into the swing of things! Working out is such a greaaaaaat de-stressor! ;)
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can alternate morning/evenings and on the evening workouts, throw something in the crockpot so you don't have to worry about dinner or pick up Subway afterwards (so you don't defeat the purpose of working out!) ;)
Thx ladies...I'm def gonna hv to switch it up like you suggest bc I attempted (for the 2nd morning in a row) to wake up & get to the gym before work. And for the 2nd morning in a row, I failed beautifully.
ReplyDeleteCall me when you get home. We will do a workout together!!!
ReplyDelete